Wednesday, December 28, 2011

On the Precipice of a New Year

Moravian Daily Text
Watchword for the coming week: 

But when the fullness of time had come, God sent his son, born of a woman, born under the law, in order to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as children. Galatians 4: 4, 5

In the fullness of time. . .

when the fruit is ripe and heavy on the branch;

when the sprinter is in the blocks;

when the crust is golden and the dough pulls away from the edges of the pan;

when the contractions are close enough to be measured by stopwatch…

In the fullness of time, there is no freeze frame setting.

In the fullness of time, God does what God does.


In the fullness of time. . .

when the crystal ball is perched atop a flagpole perched atop a skyscraper;

when the clock hands sweep toward the conclusion of one cycle and onto the next;

when the crowd counts backward, in unison chant, from 10. . .

In the fullness of time, what is inevitable will proceed.

In the fullness of time, old moments dissolve into new moments, old years resolve into new ones.


On the precipice of 2012, I wonder what God might be ready to do. I wonder what God might be ready to have me do. I wonder if the time might, indeed, be full. I wonder if I will be attentive enough to recognize what God is up to, or perceptive enough to align my own resolutions in the direction God might be going.

In the fullness of time. . . here we go.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you sharing, Christine. I share your sense of positive expectancy. Or, as Corrie ten Boom said, "Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike--I don't think I know ANYONE who approaches life with as much "positive expectancy" as you! (Well, MAYBE Darrell.) I'm sure you're expecting good things in 2012, as are we.

    ReplyDelete